Environmental Design & Research, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, & Environmental Services, D.P.C. (EDR) is seeking an experienced, team-oriented Architectural Historian with expertise in Historic Properties and Cultural Resources Management to join our Cultural Resources Division. This role would be a full-time position based in our Syracuse, Rochester, or Albany NY offices. We are looking for a candidate with demonstrated experience and expertise in the fields of historic preservation, architectural history, and cultural resources regulatory/permitting compliance.
The ideal candidate must meet the minimum qualifications specified in Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and Guidelines for Archaeology and Historic Preservation (36 CFR Part 61) with a MA Degree in Architecture, History, and/or Preservation Planning (or related, relevant field) and at least 3-5 years of experience in a professional setting focused on historic properties. Essential skills include:
• strong writing skills and demonstrated ability to prepare cultural resources reports, including historic resources surveys, heritage/preservation management plans, historic structure reports, National Register of Historic Places nominations, Historic Rehabilitation Tax-Credit Applications, and similar types of studies;
• ability to independently conduct historic resources surveys, significance evaluations, and treatment recommendations;
• the ability to take a lead technical role in State Historic Preservation (SHPO) consultation;
• strong research skills; and,
• understanding of federal and state regulatory processes relevant to cultural resources (e.g., NEPA, Section 106, Section 14.09, SEQRA).
Preference will be given to candidates with a diverse skill set who are able to support other aspects of EDR’s workload, including assistance with research/report writing for archaeology projects, planning and/or landscape architecture projects, environmental impact assessment, GIS mapping/analysis, visual impact assessment, and/or technical report writing/editing.
EDR is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting and design firm that has been in business for over 35 years (since 1979). EDR began providing cultural resources services in 2010, and since that time has conducted dozens of cultural resources investigations and historic preservation projects in New York State and the Northeast. Our senior cultural resources staff meet the Secretary of Interior’s Guidelines (per 36 CFR Part 61) in their respective fields.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and letter of interest to [email protected] or in writing to:
Environmental Design & Research, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, & Environmental Services, D.P.C.
217 Montgomery Street, Suite 1000
Syracuse, New York 13202