EDR is seeking versatile, team-oriented candidates to join our Engineering Group as a Process Automation Engineer for our Hyannis, MA office. In this role, you will be a member of a specialized group of talented engineers that have deep subject matter expertise in planning, design and construction engineering, and control system programming services that will become part of your core duties. Our committed and qualified staff create a supportive environment for new graduates and developing professionals alike. You will play a crucial role with internal and external stakeholders developing and maintaining process control systems on water, wastewater, and environmental projects.
The automation systems we create are comprised of multiprotocol networks of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) that receive input from instrumentation and IIoT devices to provide real-time Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. In an increasingly cyber-aware landscape, our SCADA systems commonly leverage managed network switching coupled with highly available and virtualized servers equipped with modern software solutions, including HMI visualization software, historians, remote desktop services, automated reporting, and robust remote alarm notification programs. On our team, your skills will remain sharp and evolve at the never-ending pace of technology.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to understand processes, project objectives, critical success factors, and to develop corresponding automation solutions.
- Participate in the evaluation and assessment of existing control systems for obsolescence, cybersecurity, resiliency, and/or optimization.
- Prepare design documentation (specifications and drawing details) and basis of design reports to support the construction of new and improved process control systems.
- Conduct comprehensive and data-driven cost-to-benefit analyses, and aggregate diverse cost breakdowns.
- Design and maintain local and wide area networks comprised of varied combinations of site-to-site VPNs, wireless Ethernet, fiberoptic and copper Ethernet, FHSS and leased frequency radio, and various fieldbus networks.
- Develop and maintain detailed documentation of our hardware and software solutions, including specifications, guides, and standard operating procedures.
- Program, configure, and maintain automation hardware and software, including PLCs, OITs, and HMI, reporting, and remote alarm notification software applications.
- Build and maintain VMware-virtualized environments comprised of multiple compute hosts and network accessible storage (SANS).
- Setup and configure computers, operating systems, and network devices in accordance with internal standards and guides.
- Provide remote and onsite programming and maintenance services. An estimated 20% regional travel may be expected.
- Lead system testing, debugging, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis to create resilient, reliable, and high-functioning control systems.
- Provide technical support and training to end-users to ensure system reliability, optimization, and ease of use.
- Stay current with industry trends and emerging technologies in process automation, virtualization, cybersecurity, and water/wastewater market needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 0-6 years of related experience.
- Excellent problem-solving, reasoning, and analytical skills with a detail-oriented mindset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Valid drivers license and ability to travel within the US without restriction.
Base pay range is commensurate with the individual’s education, credentials, skill level and relevant experience, as well as internal pay equity, geographic location, and business needs.
EDR is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting and design firm that has been in business for over 40 years, and this position represents a career opportunity with one of the leading environmental engineering and automation consultants in the Eastern United States.
EDR’s staff includes a diverse group of environmental professionals that includes engineers, ecologists, botanists, wetland specialists, wildlife biologists, GIS specialists, archaeologists, historians, visualization specialists, planners, and landscape architects. Come join our team, work on interesting and challenging projects, and collaborate with our talented group of environmental professionals!
To apply for this position, please upload and submit your resume and cover letter below.