Parsons, Inc. and New York State Department of Transportation
The removal and reconstruction or replacement of the Interstate 81 viaduct is a transformative opportunity for the City of Syracuse and Central New York. As part of a consultant team with Parsons Engineering, AKRF, Inc. and C&S Companies, EDR assisted the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) in their review of alternatives to replace the existing I-81 viaduct. EDR’s role included the development and implementation of community outreach strategies, the assessment of historic and archeological resources along the I-81 corridor, preparation of a visual impact assessment, and contributions to the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the project. EDR’s role drew on the diverse skills and talents of our team, including building an innovative GIS project to analyze historical maps/atlases and geotechnical data across the extensive study area as part of our Phase IA Archaeological Sensitivity Assessment. Our visualizations helped EDR’s planners and the outreach team to keep the community up to date and engaged throughout the design and analysis of alternatives.
Our contributions too the I-81 Viaduct Project have included:
• Public outreach meeting coordination and delivery.
• Staffing the I-81 Viaduct Project Community Outreach Office.
• Preparation of a Visual Impact Assessment, which included 60 visual simulations.
• Phase IA Archaeological Sensitivity Assessment, featuring an extensive historic map analysis of downtown Syracuse.
• Phase IB Archaeological Survey Work Plan, which proscribes the protocols, methodology, and sequence of urban archaeological excavations in coordination with construction activities.
• Phase IB Archaeological Shovel Testing fieldwork and report.
• Section 106 Consultation support on behalf of NYSDOT.
• Authoring portions of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement as part of National Environmental Policy Act review for the project.
EDR is proud of our role in this transformative project, so close to home!