Warner’s Way Real Property Services, LLC
Elmira, New York
The renovation and reuse of historic buildings, like the Snyder Building in Elmira, New York, is an essential component of preserving community character and fueling revitalization in our communities. The Snyder Building is a ca. 1910 commercial building and former printing press constructed for the Snyder Brothers in the center of Elmira’s North Main and West Water Commercial Historic District. It has also served as a department store, with a major storefront upgrade ca. 1960 and interior renovation ca. 1970. The current renovation of the Snyder Building is being funded (in part) with the use of state and federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit (or, HRTC) incentives, which will result in a mixed use/residential building with commercial offices at ground level, contributing to the renaissance of downtown Elmira.
EDR prepared/contributed to Parts 1 and 2 of the project’s HRTC applications, which have been approved by the New York State Historic Preservation Office (or SHPO). Our role included determining an appropriate period of significance for the building’s adaptive reuse, in close consultation with SHPO staff, the building owner/developer, and project’s architects, as well as the identification of historic documentation to guide the proposed rehabilitation.