Congratulations to Paulus Development on the successful completion of the renovation to the historic Smith Supply Warehouse building (500 Erie Boulevard) in downtown Syracuse. The two-building complex, built circa 1883 and 1910, was the former home of several manufacturing facilities (including bicycles, machining, and woodworking tools) and most notably served as the home of Smith Restaurant Supply for 74 years. After a two-year renovation, the building is now home to 38 upscale apartments.
EDR is proud to be part of the team working with Paulus Development on their application for the Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit (HRTC) program. The team worked with Paulus to secure available tax credits which allowed the project to proceed while keeping historically significant elements of the building intact.
The use of historic tax credits encourages the redevelopment of historic commercial and manufacturing buildings, such as the Smith building, into new mixed-use projects with retail spaces and affordable apartments. This project continues the wave of redevelopment of historic buildings using federal and state historic tax credits throughout downtown Syracuse, which can provide a combined 40% federal income tax credit for owners of income-producing properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Founded in 1979, EDR is a certified Woman-Owned Business (WBE) dedicated to creating and sustaining a better environment for our clients, employees, and communities — and doing so with integrity, a collaborative approach, a genuine passion for our craft — today’s EDR is comprised of a diverse group of environmental professionals, including ecologists, botanists, wildlife biologists, GIS specialists, archaeologists, historians, visualization specialists, planners, landscape architects, and engineers.
For More InformationGrant Johnson | Senior Project Manager, Historic Preservation